Friday, April 22, 2011

THE MORE EXCELLENT WAY

Although I speak with foreign languages and the most angelic voice, but do not show love to my neighbors or strangers, I am like a noisy percussion instrument (1 Corinthians 12:10 and Romans 12:6). And although I have been given insight into the future and spiritual matters and exercise faith, so that nothing is impossible for me (Matthew 17:20), but do not love my friends, I am worthless. And although I give to the homeless and fast for just causes but do not love my family, I am wasting my time and my money.

Love takes lots of mistreatment and is selfless; love does not envy what others have or is competitive; love does not show off, is not focused on self, does not behave in an obnoxious manner, is not self-willed, does not get irritated easily, does not entertain wicked thoughts; does not find sin funny, but enjoys talking or listening to what is worthy of praise;

Love handles all situations, believes the best of all people, hopes for the best, perseveres in all circumstances.

Love always wins; but predictions of the future will stop; those with the gift of foreign languages shall one day forget them; mass religious awakenings and revivals will end.

For we only have partial knowledge and understanding of spiritual matters. But when Jesus Christ returns, every subject that now confuses the mind or causes debate will be fully understood (Is there a God?, How the world was formed?, Is the concept of sin real?, Is there life after death?, Is there life in other worlds?)

When I was a child, I spoke as a child should speak, I had the understanding of a child, I had no interest in adult matters: but when I became a [woman], I let go of childish ways.

For now the eyes of our understanding is dim (Ephesians 4:18); but at His appearing (2 Timothy 4:8), we shall see Jesus for who He really is (God, a Prophet or just a good man): now I only understand some of life; but then I shall understand matters completely just like God now knows everything about me (Psalm 139:1-3).

But as for now, faith, hope and love keeps us going, love being the more powerful virtue of the three.

No comments: