Monday, April 18, 2011

THE GREATEST OF THESE IS LOVE (Previously Published)

"I LOVE YOU!" How many times in your life has someone said these words to you? How did these words make you feel? Did you believe the person who said them? Did you reject their words because you thought that you were not worthy of their love? Each and every one of us wants to be loved. If anyone says they don't care if they are loved, then you know immediately that they have been hurt so many times that they have put up a protective wall around their heart. God created us to love; to love Him, to love others and to love ourselves.

Along the way, we receive messages that damage our ability to give and receive love. This month's blog looks at these three avenues of love and comes in two parts.


LOVE FOR GOD


THE 10 COMMANDMENTS OF LOVE

“…which is the great commandment in the law?: Thou shall love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind…Thou shall love thy neighbor as thyself" Matthew 22:36-39.

How do you love God? You don’t have to look far for the answer, because He’s already told us in John 14:15, “If you love me, keep my commandments”

Commandments 1 through 4 show us how to love God.

#1 – Do not put anything or anyone else above Him
#2 – Do not worship idols (inanimate objects)
#3 – Do not use the Lord’s name in an inappropriate or disrespectful way
#4 – Remember the Sabbath day and do not work or transact business on that day

Commandments 5 through 10 show us how to love others.

#5 – Treat your parents with respect and those whom God has placed in authority
#6 – Do not do anything that kills life
#7 – Do not engage in an extra-marital affair, either physical or emotional
#8 – Do not take what does not belong to you
#9 – Do not be deceptive with what you say or what you withhold
#10 – Do not desire other people’s possessions


LOVE FOR OTHERS


A CHRISTIAN'S CONFESSION AND PRAYER


“He that says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness even
until now. He that loves his brother abides in the light, and there is none
occasion of stumbling in him. But he that hates his brother is in
darkness, and walks in darkness, and knows not whither he goes, because that
darkness hath blinded his eyes.” 1 John 2:9-11

Before coming to my new church (a multi-cultural congregation), I didn’t realize that I was walking in darkness. The darkness had blinded my eyes and I didn’t know where I was going. Being in a predominantly one-race church, I didn’t have to deal with or worship with the people against whom I was prejudiced. Snap judgments were made about everything from their style of worship to the way they raised their children. I made disparaging remarks about them--God’s children—without realizing the shroud of darkness that surrounded me.

Lord, today I confess that I have hated my brother. That’s probably why it’s been difficult to receive his love toward me. Free me from the bondage of hate and prejudice. Open my eyes to the love that unites us. Open my heart to the love he has to give. Open my heart to your love that binds us (2 Corinthians 5:14).

No comments: