Sunday, November 8, 2009

HOW WE TRAINED OUR CHILDREN IN BAD BEHAVIOR

BELOW ARE A LIST OF HABITS WE TRAINED OUR CHILDREN IN THAT ARE NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY HOME. LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES AND MAKE YOUR HOME DIFFERENT. BY GOD'S GRACE, WE CAN STRIVE FOR HEAVEN'S ORDER IN OUR HOMES.

Stuffing their mouths when eating -- When they were now learning to eat solid food and we were feeding them, we'd full up the spoon, so that the process could go faster because we had other things to do. Sitting patiently and savoring time with our children was not a priority when there were dishes to wash, sports to watch, food to cook, floors to clean and other children to tend to.

Swallowing their food and not chewing enough times -- When we were feeding them, we didn't wait for them to chew their food thoroughly before we had another heaped spoonful ready to put into their mouths. [Now that this is brought to my attention, I [Leuanna] realize that that is the way I eat and it takes effort on a daily basis to correct this wrong habit in myself while trying to re-train our children.

Not respecting when their father, my husband, speaks -- When my husband says something that I disagree with, I'm quick to correct it or voice a better suggestion in front of the children. Over time, they have learned not to take daddy's words seriously or to ask me for my input concerning what he says. I can't be upset with them, I trained them that way. This requires the constant prayer, "Set a watch, O Lord, over my mouth. Keep the door of my lips (Psalm 141:3).

Habits of irregularity -- When they were babies, we didn't have a regular schedule for sleep times, wake up times, family worship, mealtimes, recreation, work or anything else. Everything happened according to our moods, so they grew up with the habits of irregularity. Now that we're trying to maintain heaven's order, it's a struggle, not just for us, but for them, but thanks be to God who giveth us the victory through Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15:57).

Not following rules or obeying rules when it was convenient to "self" -- If I [Leuanna] didn't feel like walking the long way, I'd jaywalk; if I wasn't patient, I would not wait for the pedestrian walk signal; if I was late or in a hurry, I'd drive way over the speed limit and the list goes on...

Shouting at each other or conversing too loud -- Because we didn't enforce rules, weren't consistent or didn't make our word law, they grew trained in habits of disobedience or indifference, so that when we needed them to do something, we'd have to shout to be heard. Since there was no order in the home, chaos ensued and everyone naturally spoke in loud tones, not being aware of the volume of their voices, so that became the norm. I [Leuanna] also kept the radio up loud (that's the way I like my music), so we always had to speak loudly to be heard. Now that we want to maintain a peaceful atmosphere in the home, it's requires daily diligence to undo the bad habits.

Hitting when angry -- And of course, this one. When they did something that crossed "self", my first reaction was to lash out, so when they are upset, they lashed out. Sometimes at me (even my sweet, mild-mannered 2 year old had a bout of this disease) or they'd lash out at each other. That's what they say, so that's what they did.

Being restlesss or disruptive in the public places (doctor's office, church, concerts, seminars, etc.) -- We allowed the children from early childhood to do whatever they wanted during family worship, during reading time and during meals. We weren't consistent in encouraging them to sit still for short and eventually longer periods of time. When they ran off or interrupted us whenw we were speaking, we weren't consistent in correcting those habits. The obvious result is lack of self-control, the inability to sit still when necessary and the habit of being disruptive by talking when others are speaking.

I praise the Lord that He has been showing us the truth of our sinful "selves". He doesn't do it to bring us down, but to bring us up to His standard. As we humble ourselves before Him, He exalts us to a higher standard of living that we can be a blessing and a source of encouragement to others. We're encouraged to behold healthy families.

Too many families are dysfunctional and the human heart naturally becomes what it beholds [that sounds like a good topic for another blog about the TV shows we watch and how that changes our minds to accept adultery, fornication, wrath, lies, covetousness, foolish jesting and the like, as normal].

Let's find healthy families and healthy relationships to be our example and make the bad examples a source of fervent prayer.

May God bless your marriages, your children and may your homes (if one inhabitant or more), be a little taste of heaven.

No comments: