Wednesday, November 25, 2009

THE CLASH OF WILLS

First thing this morning, before the cock crew, I had a clash of wills with one of my children. It was a hard fought battle, but once entered in, it had to be won by me. The challenge was to guide the will of my child without loud-voiced commands, threatenings or force.

Immediately, Child Guidance, by Ellen G. White came to mind and I had to pick it up for encouragement. The chapter entitled, "The Will a Factor in Success" helped me greatly and pointed me to pray to the Lord for strength at that moment. Before that, in my carnal state, prayer had not even entered my mind. In humility, I bowed my head in prayer and asked the Lord's strength, to which He mercifully and lovingly supplied. Not only did He strengthen me, but as I felt my anger melt away, He also worked on my child to bring her into compliance.

So, with a more surrendered spirit, she went to perform the word that had gone out of my mouth. She even asked for my assistance, which I reluctantly gave. Here the Spirit was calling me to surrender to Him again.

"Thanks be to God who giveth us the victory through Jesus Christ" (1 Corinthians 15:57).

No comments: