Wednesday, March 25, 2009

THE TRUE NATURE OF THAT CUTE BABY

"Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me." Psalms 51:5

When the world sin appears in the singular, it usually denotes the sin nature of humanity. The sin nature which everyone possesses, influences us to sin and is the source of lust. It negatively affects people's mind,(Romans 1:28 - And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them).

The sin nature is partially responsibility for blinding people’s thoughts and understanding, so that they cannot perceive spiritual things (1 Corinthians 2:14 - But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned).

Although our sin nature continues to operate within us, it was judged when Christ died >(Romans 6:6,7 - Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
For he that is dead is freed from sin... and Galatians 2:20 - I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me).


Until Christ returns, we must live in the strength of the new man, to overcome the sinful desires arising from the sin nature. We cannot eradicate our sin nature, but we can allow the Holy Spirit [to dwell] in us so that we do not give in to temptation.
See Genesis 6:5 on the results of sin on the mind/heart.

If you're interested in learning more from the Holy Scripture that gives us hope, read Romans Chapters 3 and 5.

*This thought is from the commentary in my KJV Study Bible (Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1988). I’ve just added one extra text and substituted one word for clarity.

No comments: