Sunday, June 21, 2009

ANTI-SOCIAL CHRISTIAN?

Today I went by my parents for a block party that their community was having. I stayed inside for the whole time and didn't get to meet one single neighbor of theirs. In my passing in and out the front door, I said Hello to whoever I passed. Truth be told, I didn't even make eye contact and could not describe one person who was out there.

My excuse to my parents (not that they asked), was that I was anti-social.

As the words left my mouth, I was convicted that that was one of the biggest oxymorons I'd ever said. An anti-social Christian? How is that possible? A Christian is a follower of Christ and He certainly was not anti-social. As a matter of fact, He received much criticism because He mingled with anyone and everyone who was willing to listen to Him and even with those who were not willing.

The message this Sabbath was on evangelism. The great commission was to "go ye therefore and make disciples," (Matthew 28:19,20). That can't happen if I'm being anti-social.

The real reason behind my anti-social behavior was the problem that Peter had in Acts 10:9-36. Peter was a respecter of persons and the Lord was showing him that He is Lord of all. There has to be love for others and a willingness to endure some uncomfortable situations in order to reach people.

Don't use this as an excuse to go to the club with the "mission" of reaching the lost. This is not an excuse to indulge our sinful desires and cloak it in "being all things to all people."

This is about being like Jesus who mingled among the people desiring their good.

That's my prayer. Let me start in my home with my husband and children (inreach), then take it to the neighbors, friends, strangers and the world (outreach). This is a hard thing--for me, but thanks be to God, with Him, all things are possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actions are stronger than words. They reveal the intents of the heart.