Tuesday, July 29, 2008

THE SEED OF ABRAHAM

Laying the Foundation!

1. God made a covenant (promise) with Abraham

  • Genesis 12:1-3 - "Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed."
  • Genesis13:14-16 - "And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever. And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered."
  • Genesis 15:1-6 - "After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward. And Abram said, LORD God, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus? And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir. And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir. And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness."

Circumcision: Genesis 17:1-4 - "And when Abram was ninety years old and nine,
the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk
before me, and be thou perfect. And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly. And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying, As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations."

Abram's name changed: Genesis 17:5 - "Neither shall thy name any more be
called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I
made thee."



Sarai's name changed: Genesis 17:15 - "And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be."

Covenant repeated to Sarah (through Issac): Genesis 17:19 - "And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him."



Each of the following will be expounded upon.

2. God confirmed the covenant (promise) with His people (Abraham becomes Israel)

3. God gave Daniel a Prophecy of the Messiah coming through the tribe of Judah

4. God's people rejected the Messiah and thus no longer become heirs of the promise [by birth]

5. God extended the covenant (promise) to the Gentiles (people of non-Jewish descent)

6. God made a way for the Gentiles to become the seed of Abraham [through faith]

7. God's covenant (promise) is still to the Jews, but now, not by birthright, but by faith in Jesus Christ


No comments: