Friday, June 13, 2008

WHO LIKES REJECTION?

Not me! I'd be willing to say, not you either. Even God doesn't like rejection. When the children of Israel asked Samuel for a King, the Lord said, "...for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them." (1 Samuel 7:8)

Recently, I was struck with the thought that my life is spent doing mostly for me. There was nothing that I really did for the Lord. I felt pretty contented with the fact that I'm raising four children so that pretty much makes me exempt from active witnessing. For you it may be the many ministries you're involved in at church or the many charities and events you participate in in your community.

There is a belief that we witness just by existing and that you don't need to go out to witness about Jesus love and salvation--people will just see Christ in you. If that was the case, Jesus would have left it at, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

He did not leave it there, because later on, before His ascension, He said, "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen." (Matthew 28:19,20)

Believe you me, talking to strangers or even friends and acquaintances about Christ is not something I cherish. It's not me. I can't do it. That's not my gift. But did Jesus tell the disciples to go out witnessing if that was their special gift. No! Of the gifts listed in 1 Corinthians 12, witnessing is not one of them. We're all just asked to do it. Scary thought!

I walk around quoting, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," but then claim "can't" when I don't want to do something He asked me to do. Why?

Rejection! Preservation of Self! Plain and simple. The word of the Lord loses power for me when it comes in conflict with His will versus mine. Whether it's submitting to my husband, speaking kindly to my children, giving the smelly old man some change or saying good morning to the rude girl at the checkout, I'm in constant conflict between God's will and mine.

Let me wrap this up.

We have to tell people about Jesus. We have to look for opportunities to share the gospel with a spiritually dead world. We have to go where the lost are and not wait for them to come to us or ask us. They won't. They're in jeopardy of being lost. They don't know that there is a better way. We have to tell them. We can do it. Why? Becasue we "...can do all things through Christ who strengtens" us. (Philippians 4:13)

If they don't want to repent and be converted, they're not rejecting us, but God. Start with your own family members who don't follow Christ. From now on, every person you meet is someone who will either have eternal life or perish. God help us!

No comments: